The Voynich Ninja

Full Version: Rudolf's books
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. discusses some lists of Rudolf's books. It is noted that the lists are by no means a full representation of the books that Rudolf owned.

So the chance to find a match for the VMS in those lists is not high.

Anyway.

Rene mentions that:

Quote:The inventory does not mention any book in unknown writing or language. In general, the large collection of alchemical books known to have been owned by Rudolf are not found in this inventory. Some of these were taken to Sweden as war booty, and later given to I. Vossius, who brought them to Leiden, where they are still preserved. The only entry which might possibly refer to the Voynich MS is:
Quote: In folio: ein philosophisch alt geschriben buch mit figurn und ein copey uff pergamen geschriben vom Mathes Dörrer, ungebunden, welchs nit gantz beysamen und Herr Hayden auß bevelch I. Mt: etliche bletter davon genommen

We discussed this record elsewhere in this forum, and it does not look like a good match for the VMS. But what occurred to me is that the search for matches in the available lists of Rudolf's books might have taken the wrong direction from the very beginning (I don't know if it actually did, hence I'm opening this thread for discussion).

From what I perceive from Rene's description, the search was narrowed down to books "in unknown writing or language". But the VMS might have been perceived by Rudolf (or the seller who sold the book to him) - and hence put down into the catalogue - quite in another way.

First, it might have been perceived as a book in a known but exotic language. Recall how references to Coptiс were made in the later history of the VMS. That the seller neither anybody at the court could not read the book does not mean that the book is an unknown language. If I can't read Spanish that does not mean that Spanish is a language "unknown".

Second, it might have been catalogued as a book by someone (Roger Bacon or another author deemed likely by the seller or by Rudolf) without any reference to the language or writing whatsoever. That the writing is unreadable does not necessarily mean that this fact would have been specifically mentioned in the catalogue, especially if the author was deemed to be a famous person. The fact of unreadability might have been of lesser priority to the purchaser than the fact of the book having been created by a famous author, so it just could be omitted.

Unfortunately, I found no lists of Rudolpf's books on the Internet to check these considerations myself.
The web page linked by Anton requires more work. There is a bit more related information
 You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. , in particular footnote 11 which links to a  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
with a collection of Rudolf's books that ended up in Leiden, and do not appear in the inventory.
Thank you Rene.

Obviously, the lists on Philip Neal's page do not suggest anything close to the VMS. All books are attested to be in well-known European languages (Latin, German, Italian, Greek).
These books are now preserved in Leiden, and the information on the web page was extracted from a catalogue of the library.
Therefore, no reference to the Voynich MS should be expected.

Note that there is (at least) one MS that came from Karl (Carolus) Widemann, and it is likely that this is part of the set he once sold to Rudolf for 500 Thaler (silver pieces). At the time of the sale, this was equivalent to approx. 600 gold florins.

Widemann (also written Wiedemann, was an avid collector of the works of Paracelsus, and copied many Paracelsus manuscripts, significantly contributing to the preservation of his works.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. (though links into Google books may not work for everyone).
I am fairly confident that I just identified the mysterious book and its copy, mentioned in the quote:

Quote:In folio: ein philosophisch alt geschriben buch mit figurn und ein copey uff pergamen geschriben vom Mathes Dörrer, ungebunden, welchs nit gantz beysamen und Herr Hayden auß bevelch I. Mt: etliche bletter davon genommen

The original is most likely a MS that Rudolf requested from Fulda, in order to have it copied. It is mentioned in Evans: Rudolf II and his world [...] (1973) on p.198. They sent it to him, but he never returned it.

The original was considered lost for a while, but has been identified as Vat.Reg.Lat.124. This suggests that the Swedes took it from Prague and Queen Christina took it to Rome. It is one of the earliest copies (9th century) of a work by Hrabanus Maurus.
The copy also still exists, and is now in the Bilbliotheque de l'Arsenal (MS 472).
This has a dedication to Rudolf and was completed in 1600.

The copyist signed as G.M.D.Z. Ungari, which includes the initials M.D.

It should still be possible to find out more about him. The copy is of remarkable quality.
Arsenal 147, I know that one. A beautiful thing. Very expertly done.

I've also glanced through Reg.lat.124 (I've always been intrigued by manuscripts with acrostics), but even though one can easily see the relationship between the two, I don't think I ever connected them in my mind... perhaps because there are a number of manuscripts with acrostics that were on my "come back to them later" list.

They provide an intriguing example of how much leeway there was in copying. I notice the illustrators have updated the clothing from Greco-Roman to more contemporary tunics, the background to the full -page acrostic from navy to royal purple. The angels in the quadrant acrostic become more elfin and colorful.

Very interesting piece of history and detective work, René. It helps round out the picture of how things happened during that time. It also suggests a quality orientation on the part of Rudolph II, to commission a work of that level.
I have written up the story about the two copies (old and new) of this remarkable book You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. .

In the end, I cannot believe that this identification has not already been made long ago by someone, and I just don't know about it.

This really exemplifies the limitations of the amateur or autodidact, who has to work out everything for himself (which is fun, of course) without having all the advantages of a solid education in the matter, access to reference works and other literature, involvement in discussions with peers, being kept up to date in conferences, etc. etc.