The Voynich Ninja

Full Version: Stephen Bax's TED-ED video
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Stephen Bax just updated his website, announcing that he scripted a Voynich video for TED-ED (not to be confused with TED-talks).
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

Direct link to the video on TED-ED's YouTube channel:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

It is basically the standard introduction to the manuscript, and experienced researchers won't learn anything new. I like the TED-ED animators' style though, and the animations they did of some of the pages are really beautiful.
@ Koen

Great video!
It's a little bold for him to add his own research in when it's hardly taken seriously by most other researchers.
(27-05-2017, 06:34 PM)Emma May Smith Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.It's a little bold for him to add his own research in when it's hardly taken seriously by most other researchers.

I had the same feeling about that part, and it felt kind of out of tune with the rest of the video. Kind of like an unwelcome commercial break.

Now on the other hand, we don't know what the TED people requested. For all we know, they actually wanted that part in the video since Stephen's research has appeared most in the general media. Perhaps together with the "American" theory.
(27-05-2017, 06:41 PM)Koen Gh. Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
(27-05-2017, 06:34 PM)Emma May Smith Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.It's a little bold for him to add his own research in when it's hardly taken seriously by most other researchers.

I had the same feeling about that part, and it felt kind of out of tune with the rest of the video. Kind of like an unwelcome commercial break.

That's exactly what it felt like to me, also.

Koen Gh. Wrote:Now on the other hand, we don't know what the TED people requested. For all we know, they actually wanted that part in the video since Stephen's research has appeared most in the general media. Perhaps together with the "American" theory.

Except that part isn't Stephen's research. Others proposed Pleiades/Taurus long before. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. which, if I'm not mistaken, was posted You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view., who is also in the U.K.
(27-05-2017, 09:25 PM)-JKP- Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
Koen Gh. Wrote:Now on the other hand, we don't know what the TED people requested. For all we know, they actually wanted that part in the video since Stephen's research has appeared most in the general media. Perhaps together with the "American" theory.

Except that part isn't Stephen's research. Others proposed Pleiades/Taurus long before. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. which, if I'm not mistaken, was posted You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view., who is also in the U.K.

In his 2014 paper, Stephen credited the Pleiades/Taurus idea to Rene Zandbergen. You can very easily find online both Stephen's paper and Rene's messages to the mailing list about this subject. A quick search will tell you that Rene was already discussing this idea in 1998.

My personal opinion is that criticism to what Stephen writes could be more usefully shared with him, giving him a chance to reply and/or to correct himself in the future. He has You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. on which anyone is free to post comments:

Stephen Bax Wrote:I was asked to script it some months ago, and the process of working with the TED-ED editors and animators was an inspiring one. It might not be a perfect representation of the manuscript and people’s research on it, but that is partly because we were given tight time limits and editorial guidelines. However, any errors or omissions are of course my own responsibility.

One thing I was not able to do was to name names of current scholars such as René Zandbergen,, whose work has been one of the (few) real contributions to our understanding of the manuscript in the last 100 years.
When I mentioned this tentative interpretation to Stephen, I clarified that I did not find it myself, but I also don't remember who pointed it out.
(28-05-2017, 08:49 AM)ReneZ Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.When I mentioned this tentative interpretation to Stephen, I clarified that I did not find it myself, but I also don't remember who pointed it out.

The first person to suggest this was Taurus seems to have been Gabriel Landini (though mostly tongue in cheek), 18 Jan 2000:
Quote:I cracked the vms and it is written in Portuguese.
In folio 68r3, the 7 stars (Pleiades?)  from the constellation of Taurus reads "doaro" which is corresponds to the character substitution of "touro" (Is that correct Jorge?).
That's it. Now you can read the rest. :-)

Jorge Stolfi then quickly replied:

Quote:Well, the Portuguese word is indeed "touro", but I'm afraid that it is a red herring. Considering that the "d" looks pretty much like the "s" of Rene's 15th century German alphabet, it is more likely that EVA "doaro" is to be read "subaru", which is the name of the Pleiades in Japanese.

I don't remember who first suggested that doary-was-Taurus-where-the-terminal-y-was-a-Latin-abbreviation-for-us, but it was surely after 2004, because it was widely believed before then that the word read "doaro".
Oh, and "providence" != "provenance"  ;-)
(28-05-2017, 01:20 PM)nickpelling Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
(28-05-2017, 08:49 AM)ReneZ Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.When I mentioned this tentative interpretation to Stephen, I clarified that I did not find it myself, but I also don't remember who pointed it out.

The first person to suggest this was Taurus seems to have been Gabriel Landini (though mostly tongue in cheek), 18 Jan 2000:
Quote:I cracked the vms and it is written in Portuguese.
In folio 68r3, the 7 stars (Pleiades?)  from the constellation of Taurus reads "doaro" which is corresponds to the character substitution of "touro" (Is that correct Jorge?).
That's it. Now you can read the rest. :-)

On the old mailing list Don Latham noted the Pleiades in early 1996, but the suggestion is also in Mary D'Imperio's An Elegant Enigma, and the similarity was likely noticed even earlier than that, given how often the Pleiades motif comes up in historical art.
Pages: 1 2