The Voynich Ninja

Full Version: f101v1 Palma Christi?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
In You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view., Rene Zandbergen has proposed a parallel between manuscript illustrations of the Palma Christ (hand of Christ) orchid.
Most manuscripts represent the root of the orchid as a single hand, with its finger at the bottom. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. (second half of the XIV Century) represents the root as four hands, with fingers pointing to the right and left. In my opinion, one of the plants in Voynich You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. could be a similar (smaller and simplified) illustration of the same plant.
The herbal of Giovanni Cadamosto da Lodi (1470 ca) illustrates the plant with two symmetric hands. For complete, I also attach the illustration from the Catal Ms Florence Palatino 586, that Rene and JKP mentioned in the thread linked above.
(06-05-2017, 12:01 PM)MarcoP Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.The herbal of Giovanni Cadamosto da Lodi (1470 ca) illustrates the plant with two symmetric hands. For complete, I also attach the illustration from the Catal Ms Florence Palatino 586, that Rene and JKP mentioned in the thread linked above.

Something I didn't mention about the Palatino illustration when I referenced it above (I was going to blog about it, but it's hard to find the time) is that I suspect it's a combination of orchid and Ricinus.

It's mostly Palma Christi orchid, the way it's drawn, except for those extra leaves at the top that are anomalous (this species doesn't have leaves at the top) that look like Ricinus leaves. Since both plants have the same name and the Palatino illustrator LOVED adding mnemonic references, it wouldn't surprise me if two plants in one were intended.