The Voynich Ninja

Full Version: Does this nymph have a red nipple?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
It seems like, before someone went over it in a darker ink, this nymph's nipple (viewer's right) was red. Or a red dot was added on top of the dark ink. I'd find it interesting if it were red, but since the ink has faded it's hard to see. What do you think? Also, if it is red, would this be the only nymph with such a feature?

I shifted some values in photoshop that seemed to bring out the color more, and noticed that it does appear to be the same pigment as the blush on the cheeks. Maybe someone with more image editing skills knows of a better way to test this.

[attachment=1158]

PS: this is important but I'd like to know your opinion before explaining why.
In the hi-resolution images, it looks like there might be a trace of "blush" but I can't tell for certain. I've always thought of this nymph as having "eyeball" style breasts... drawn with circles instead of bumps.
(21-02-2017, 10:01 PM)-JKP- Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.I've always thought of this nymph as having "eyeball" style breasts... drawn with circles instead of bumps.

That's the second thing I was hoping to hear Big Grin
I can see what you're getting at, but it's pretty hard to tell... but if I had to guess I'd say there's no red paint there.
It's so hard to tell because the "blush red" as we currently see it is actually more of a brown. Especially when applied in a thinner layer, but also thicker paint. I was thinking on how to approach this somewhat objectively and came up with the following.

In this picture I took three color samples in photoshop and enlarged them to a square. I sampled by averaging an area of 3 by 3 pixels, giving each the best possible shot to capture the red paint. Top left square is a light red area of the cheek blush, top right a dark red area, bottom the "red" on the chest.

[attachment=1163]
Koen,
May I guess - the 'eye' because stars were imagined as eyes and you think this could be a red star? Bull's-eye? Big Grin
More or less. I think this nymph represents a certain constellation with a "blazing face" Smile

Though the reason why most nymphs have been given a blush might be because they represent the "gleaming" stars. Most of the nymphs who have not been given a blush clearly do not represent stars (Astro section diagrams)