The Voynich Ninja

Full Version: Puzzles of the Voynich Manuscript
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
From the blurb:
"This illustrated guide to the Voynich Manuscript is targeted mainly at those who have recently come across the book and are wondering what all the fuss is about, and why, after more than a century of effort, nobody has cracked its code yet. It should also be useful as a set of tests for those who believe they may have cracked the code, so that they can see how their solution matches up against each of the puzzles or notable features described. And finally, it is hopefully of interest to those already familiar with the manuscript – perhaps they will find something new or thought provoking within."

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
A 69 page self-published book also available for Kindle which has just been published.

[Image: 51p1PPpFm1L._SX384_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg]

It's written by long time research Julian Bunn whose Amazon author description reads: Julian is an English physicist living in Pasadena, California. He enjoys mechanical and electronic things, puzzles and sunshine.

[Image: 91C0paGnc7L._SY200_.jpg]
Thanks, David. I doubt that many here will find much or anything new in the guide. I wrote it because there seemed to be a need for something short and easily digestible that laid out the main features we all find so curious, that people new to the Manuscript could use as a sort of primer.
(22-12-2016, 11:46 PM)julian Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Thanks, David. I doubt that many here will find much or anything new in the guide. I wrote it because there seemed to be a need for something short and easily digestible that laid out the main features we all find so curious, that people new to the Manuscript could use as a sort of primer.

Hello, Julian,

Voynich manuscript terms are some of the most-searched terms on Google, so obviously there's interest in the manuscript.

Most people will be curious about the VMS, look at it, perhaps spend a few days or weeks on it (at first glance the VMS appears deceptively "breakable"), so even if they don't stick with it, your target audience probably represents a considerable majority. I like your idea of framing it within the context of puzzles or "tests".
Julian Bunn has characterized the VMs in terms of 'puzzles' and 'tests'. I certainly agree and have long supported those ideas in my investigations of the VMs Zodiac.
Among the puzzles I have found are 1) the Zodiac medallions, 2) the Zodiac tub patterns & 3) the combination of the first two.

The solutions are 1) pairing - basic pattern recognition, 2) heraldry - traditional pattern recognition & 3) the combination of pairing and heraldry as an additional indicator of intentional construction, where separation would tend to contradict any combined purpose.

The VMs tests are tests of recognition. The medallions for the various houses in the VMs Zodiac sequence have received a lot of attention for various reasons. The fact that each of the first five houses is represented by images that are paired is so far down the list that it really isn't on the list for many investigators.

It is this sort of omission, the test of recognition *failed*, that diverts so much of current investigation into less relevant areas. The tests of recognition built into the VMs Zodiac include the illustration on f71r. This is the Genoese Gambit. The author has posed a test question. Is there sufficient reason to investigate this potential identification further, assuming a potential identification can even be suggested? White Aries is not a simple illustration. Superficial disguise is contradicted by several objective, positional confirmations, then overwhelmed by the discovery of heraldic canting. The existence of historical grounding is a strong indicator of significance, but the VMs puzzle is only partially solved.