The Voynich Ninja

Full Version: The Stepped Crown
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
In my latest You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. (short one) I explored some possible parallels for crowns worn by the nymphs. Some of these I've shared on the forum before, but this one is new.

I believe that this find might help us understand better the path travelled by the material that ended up in the VM. 

[Image: steppedcrown.jpg?w=616]

The statuette is a bronze Aphrodite from the Roman period in Syria. It falls well within the period posited by Diane for the first enunciation of the imagery (3rd BCE- 3rd CE). Like the lion mosaic posted by Sam a while ago, it was found in a former Hellenistic area now under Roman rule. 

It shares with the VM figures not only the type of crown, but also the body type (although the heads of the nymphs are enlarged).

A similar crown can be seen in this example from the first century, found in Byblos, an Ancient Phoenician city thatwas also an early Egyptian colony. This "Lady of Byblos" does have the addition of Egyptian style feathers on top of her head.

[Image: byblos.jpg?w=616]

Apart from the similar crown, I believe the item she holds might explain the giant "ring" held by the nymph (inset). No description is provided, but I believe this object to be a hinged mirror, like this (left Greek, right Roman):

[Image: mirrors.jpg?w=616]

This made me realize that this nymph might actually be holding some type of mirror as well (see here: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.). Note how the inside of the "ring" is not painted green and how she does appear to be admiring her beauty.

Likely dozens of parallels are possible for these crowns, but these are the only ones found on full bodied naked ladies, which has got to count for something.
(29-10-2016, 02:21 PM)Koen Gh. Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view....

[Image: steppedcrown.jpg?w=616]

Good examples, Koen.

Do you happen to know what the round object is in her hand?

As an aside, Aphrodite/Venus was often represented with a mirror in the middle ages, as well, especially in astrological depictions showing "Venus and her children" (flanked by Libra and Taurus), in representations of spring.
The sphere is likely the golden apple that she won in the Judgement of Paris.